- wear and tear
- noundecrease in value of an asset due to obsolescence or use• Syn: ↑depreciation
* * *noun: the loss or injury to which something is subjected by or in the course of use; especially : normal depreciation
* * */tair/damage or deterioration resulting from ordinary use; normal depreciation.Also, wear-and-tear.[1660-70]
* * *tear and wear see wear and tear under ↑wear1• • •Main Entry: ↑tear————————wear and tear or (rare) tear and wearDamage by wear or use• • •Main Entry: ↑wear
* * *the changes or damage that normally happen to something that has been used, causing it to be less useful or less valuableThesaurus: destruction and damagesynonym
* * *wear and tear,loss or damage caused by use.
* * *• • •Main Entry: ↑tear————————wear and tear: damage that happens to something when it is used for a period of time
The apartment showed no damage other than normal wear and tear.• • •Main Entry: ↑wear
* * *ˌwear and ˈtear idiomthe damage to objects, furniture, property, etc. that is the result of normal use
The insurance policy does not cover damage caused by normal wear and tear.
The living-room carpet has to stand up to the combined wear and tear of two dogs and three children.Main entry: ↑wearidiom
Useful english dictionary. 2012.